Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Fun & Fast Notes

I received this stamp set as part of Convention 2008 and I’m embarrassed to admit I don’t think I’ve used it since. Now if you are a regular visitor to my blog you might realise that it’s not really a ‘me’ set.

Back in June another demonstrator invited me to come along to her team meetings. I’m not part of her downline but I have known her for a little while and she knows the situation with my upline. I feel very privileged to be included and I just want to stress to anyone considering joining SU or any other company to put some consideration into who you sign up under. Not everyone joins a company for the same reasons and not all offer extra help/guidance. Don’t sign up under someone just because you consider them a friend do some research and make sure you have someone that’s right for you.

Anyway back to the team meeting. In June those who attended where given ‘homework’. Can you believe that? I’ve been long out of school….lol  Okay, no it wasn’t that sort of homework. We were all given a left over class kit and we had to create something using the pieces in the kit. We could add to it if we wished. This needed to be brought along to show at the August meeting which was earlier this week. Part of the reason for this was because no one took anything for ‘Show & Tell’ at the June meeting either so at least if no one did for August we still should have our homework to show.

My kit contained an A5 card in Almost Amethyst, a strip of So Saffron, a Whisper White piece for an image and a slightly larger piece of Lovely Lilac to layer the image onto.

Not colours I’ve used for a while but not colours I dislike either. Looking at the pieces I decided I’d use my long forgotten, very neglected, Fun & Fast Notes stamp set. You probably worked that one out already though seeing the title of this post…..lol

So would you like to see the very quick and simple card I created.

Fun & Fast Notes 1

I was quite happy with this card. Quick and simple isn’t usually me either but that’s because I’m so used to layering that to not layer too much seems like more work for me.

I’ve used the Watercolor Joy wheel and Almost Amethyst inkpad over the bottom of the main card. Then added the So Saffron strip. The main image has been stamped using Stazon Black onto Whisper White and then coloured using a Blender Pen and inkpads. I’ve used So Saffron for the bird along with a tiny bit of Apricot Appeal for the beak, Certainly Celery for the flower stem, Almost Amethyst and Lovely Lilac for the flower with a touch of So Saffron for the centre.

After making this card I decided to make another and ‘Step It Up’.

For this card I decided to stamp onto Watercolor Paper instead of Whisper White. I left the words off the main image and stamped those separately onto Watercolour paper and punched out using the word window punch. Instead of using a strip of So Saffron cardstock I used So Saffron 1/2” Striped Grosgrain Ribbon. I created a window in the front of the card using the word window punch and adhered the words inside the card so they can be seen through the window. The main image is coloured using an Aqua Painter and inkpads with a So Saffron brad for the centre of the flower.

And here it is.

Fun & Fast Notes 2

In the end I used a couple of things I have not used for a while. The stamp set of course, the Watercolor Joy wheel too (I tend to use the Jumbo wheels more than the standard when I do use one) and my word window punch hasn’t been used in this way for a long time.

So what do you think? Did I do okay? 



 photo Nikki4.png

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Yes!! Its great!! Liked your first version but your stepped up version is even more fab!! Its good to get a little push out of your comfort zone sometimes!!

Karen said...

Nikki your cards are absolutely beautiful! I think you've actually inspired me to get that set out and have a play! Like you.......it wasnt my cup of tea either! lol

Luv Karen
x

Kerry Parkinson said...

I like both of these and the colours are so pretty. Great job.